Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Rylend update - And the verdict is...

We jut got back from the doc a bit ago. Heres the run down.

Dr. Achertman told us for a fracture like this, they usually put the kid in a full or half body cast (under the armpit then down to the knee)
BUT
since Rylend is still so small (well..compared to being like..2 or more) he wont need the cast! Instead they gave us this funny little brace. I cant remember its exact name. He has to wear it about 60% of the time for the next three weeks. Meaning, he DOESNT have to wear it if he is taking a bath, in a car seat, in his high chair, or if someone is monitoring him/holding him...
Dr. Puth (the one giving us the brace) was very nice and friendly. As he put it on (Rylend did not like it...) Shane made a comment about Forrest Gump...and I just burst out laughing. It felt good to laugh (though my throat hurts bad still...) and Rylend calmed down a bit after that.
Rylend fell asleep in the car almsot instantly and we headed home...happy to be done with it, for now.
I am sooooo happy Rylend didnt need a cast! That all he needs is a Forrest Gump brace most of the time. Our next appointment is April 2nd, where he will have another x-ray and we get to find out if he still needs the brace or not. Funny, thats one day before his ONE YEAR OLD birthday!!! I was hoping he might be walking by then...well, looks like I got my answer on THAT one. But oh well. I am sure as soon as his legs heals and the brace is gone, he will be back to his old tricks and learning more than ever.

Thank you everyone who have been sending me up-lifting thoughts and praying for my baby. I love you all like nothing else. I have attached a bunch of photos from today. Check out little Forrest Rylend. Run Rylend Run!


Rylend and Daddy playing with the toys at the orthopedic office


Rylend had never played with a puzzle before...he loves it!


Waiting for the doc to bring in the brace. I think I had a harder time than he did.


Passed out in the car on the way home. Long day...again!


Rylend with his Gump brace on. He seems ok with it...playful and all...just confused


Putting him down for nap...my little boy...SIGH
I put a TON more pics up on my myspace account. If you have one, go check them out. If not...I will try to put update pics on here when I can. :)

2 comments:

Loralee and the gang... said...

Sorry about your little guy's troubles (which of course are yours as well!) I'm sure he'll heal quickly and be as good as new!
:~D

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that happened to Rylend. He seems to be doing better now that he has a brace. Let me know how you are doing sometimes. I'd love to hear from you! Talk to you later!