Thursday, August 7, 2008

Hot days and Twilight Books

Oh my gosh! It has been SO SO hot! Literally, yesterday I would wiped sweat off my forehead, and I could feel it bead right back before my hand was even down. I had gotten so excited that the heat had gone down that I forgot it is just the beginning of August. Here I am in perfect comfort...then two days ago WHAM the heat comes back and I am pretty much miserable in it. It is especially sucky when it comes time to feeding Rylend...We are both sweatmeisters so I bet you can guess the comfort we lack there. Rylend has been spending most of his days in just his diaper. It is cute seeing his fat rolls and he loves feeling "free." You should see how excited he gets when he has NOTHING on! I let him lay on his mat one day naked and he sat there all happy, shaking his bootie. It was way too cute.
I am HOPING this heat goes away soon. The news tries to convince us that it will go away soon....but I cringe every time they happily say there will be no clouds or sunshine will break through. Man, I really AM a northwesterner! lol


Now for something totally not related to real life at all!
__________________________________________________________


TWILIGHT
Yes people, I too have entered into the Twilight world. I just finished the 4th book, Breaking Dawn, a day ago and I am still FIRMLY a Twilight fan. I know alot of people have been complaining non stop about how this last book turned out, but personally I find it did wrap up the love story quite nicely.
If you DONT know Twilight, heres a quick rundown on it:
Bella moves to Forks, WA to live with her Dad. There she meets Edward and very quickly knows that one, he was very different than others, and two, that she was inexplicably drawn to him. Lo and behold, she comes to find out he is a vampire, but all too late. She was in love. Good thing that he is a "vegetarian" meaning his family of vampires have sworn to never hurt another human and feed only on animal blood. Through the first book you watch as their love grows...then is tested as a group of rogue vampires, true vampires, happens on them and ends up hunting Bella.
The other three books keep telling the story, each one with a new trial that the teen lovers battle through. People mainly dont like the fourth one because Bella and Edward get married and Bella is only 18. They dont like the fact that Stephanie Meyer is endorsing YOUNG marriage...not to boot that Bella ends up getting pregnant and keeps the baby, when most of these people this she should have aborted. It seems people dont want to remember that the author is a MORMON so of course the LDS teachings WILL bleed through into these books. And we do support younger marriage and starting families young. I truly dont see what is wrong with that. Also, people were expecting some grand message from this final book, and were mad when it had a happy ending where everyone turns out where they should be in life. The readers complain that this ending could never happen in real life....which is understandable...since this book is a FICTION. Jeesh...I loved the ending. We all wish that happy endings would always happen and that is why we read. To escape. Right?


But yes I think this four book series is a work of art. It comes from a LDS housewife who had a funky dream one night and wrote a book that would become such a best-selling phenomenon... They are even making a movie on the first book, coming out this winter! It gives me hope that maybe, someday, I too will finish one of my stories and people will love it too. I like being given hope.


This series has made its way onto my top shelf full of my other all time favorites: Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series, Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series, all of Orson Scott card (Mainly the Ender/Beans series)...and it desereves that spot (now I just need to BUY the first three books....ha!)

1 comment:

kandra said...

Rylend's smile is soo cute! thanks for the review, kenzie is obsessed over those books and now i know what they are about :) I agree with you about the ending, people just can't stand for other, even "fiction" people, to end up happy! amazing